Sunday, November 9, 2014

Voting on Favorite Book Character

With elections across the nation, I love to simulate meaningful voting with Kindergarteners in the library.  By this time of the year my Kindergarteners have been introduced to several favorite book characters.  So, after poling the teachers about which book characters all the kinder classes know, I create my ballot.



 Then, on kinder library lesson day, I set up the voting area with a voting booth, ballot box and books on display.




I read to them Duck for President by Doreen Cronin, to introduce them to yet another fun book character... and elections humor.



After the read aloud, students have the opportunity to take part in voting for their favorite book character... from the ballot. (Although write-in's would be fun!)  While students are taking their turn and then going to check out books, I spend time talking to them about the whole process of voting... right to a secret ballot, quiet in the voting area, etc.



Fun is had by all!  This year's winner... Pete the Cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment