Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Library Orientation - Be the One!

I just finished getting all my 625+ students back into the library for the year.  This year our school has the theme of "Be the One"... the one to make a difference.  So going with that theme I chose to highlight Thing One from Cat in the Hat.
I had fun changing some decorations!

Me dressed up with "Reading is my #1 Thing" ready for students!



I created a short PowerPoint presentation so the students would have a visual.  The circle map was created so each phrase came in with a click.  I had the students first get the circle map prepared, then gave them about 6 minutes to define our library.  After time, I shared what I put on my map, then they were able to share what I forgot.






Instead of me going "blah, blah, blah..." about rules, the students were able to do the thinking and remembering.  I was sure to go over the highlights that really needed to be emphasized.  I would say this was probably my favorite orientation lesson and easiest to create.  

Here are maps students actually created...






No comments:

Post a Comment