Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Word Wall in the Library

Librarians,

Do you ever have the challenge of students searching for words in your online catalog and need help with spelling words?  I do!  My online catalog is Destiny.  Yes, I know there is Destiny Quest, which has great spelling assistance and other spelling assistance in just Destiny, but I still have students that struggle.  Perhaps they can't get even close to the word.  Happens all the time in my library.  So, I have created a Word Wall Binder where students can get quick spelling assistance of commonly asked-for words.  I started compiling this binder 5 years ago when I first became a librarian and realized I was spelling the same word over and over again.  This binder has been a life saver!  I have several teachers that have started a Word Wall Binder in their classroom as well.  Typically you see a word wall with frequent spelled words (when, their, etc) and each student has their own spelling journal of words they like to use, but this classroom binder adds another resource for students to seek spelling assistance so the teacher can continue writing groups and conferences.  Love it!


You can find my binder pages here:  Word Wall Binder

No comments:

Post a Comment